Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday 5 December 2017

Karuizawa Weekend Get-away

Hey!

This is the first of many blogposts to come. Welcome :)

I used to have a website chocked full of information about insights I've learned about working as an illustrator in Japan (I'm still learning). Unfortunately, that blog is long gone as I couldn't keep up with payments (oops!). After some time went by, I realised how much I missed writing/typing. Sitting down and collecting my thoughts helps me decompress and I'm excited to potentially be of help or a push of encouragement to someone out there who needs it.



So, without clambering on, let's get into it.

Last weekend was our annual trip to Karuizawa, a two maybe three hour drive up north towards Nagano, Japan. I love going there because it's like a breath of fresh air from the daily hustle of Tokyo's city streets. The best way I could describe is as if you were living a scene of the TV show "Gilmore Girls", but still without having to leave the country. I've never lived in the US nor Canada but it's everything I imagine it to be on a sunny autumn day.
If you were to ask any local, it's best known for it's designer outlet mall and its ski resort in the winter months and an escape from humid city summers. But, you don't need to ski nor have a lot of money in order to enjoy your time there.



For a short history lesson, Karuizawa has always been a place where many westerners have vacationed there since the early 1900s, that the town even boasted two town mayors - one Japanese and one Westerner. For over century, Karuizawa has also been a place of refuge for missionaries including some who remained after World War II. Hence, the strong western influences that can be seen in the town architecture and buildings.

It's probably one of Japan's best kept secrets which shouldn't be a secret because it's such a great place to go even for a short weekend trip.

Karuizawa also boasts a local brewery too! Karuizawa Asama Kogen beer has a light and fruity taste to it making it great for first time beer drinkers or just irregular beer drinkers like myself (I don't really like the taste of beer much).



I made a little video below with some shots I took of the beautiful scenery. It's times like these where I wish I had a better camera. :(



Until next time...
...be seeing you!

No comments:

Post a Comment